St. Louis Post Dispatch
6 O’Clock Extra, Vol. 40, No. 350
St. Louis, October 7, 1889
World Papers, Box 10
Joseph Pulitzer purchased the St. Louis Evening Dispatch at auction on December 9, 1878, and shortly thereafter merged it with John A. Dillon’s Evening Post to become the St. Louis Post and Dispatch. By March 1879, they renamed it the Post-Dispatch, and by November, Pulitzer had bought Dillon’s half of the paper. For the rest of his life, it made money for Pulitzer, and this copy of the October 7 edition was included in the World Building cornerstone box materials.
Gift of Joseph Pulitzer, Jr.