FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
Bibliotheca Columbiana Number 1, April 1933
This first issue of the occasional Bibliotheca Columbiana states: “The association known as “Friends of the Library of Columbia University” was founded at a luncheon given by Mr. George A. Plimpton on November 8, 1929, to a group of persons interested in the Library of Columbia University, with the object of bringing together in a simple organization and without publicity the many friends who had already given generously of their time and money for the enrichment of the Library.” The officers were: George A. Plimpton, President; David Eugene Smith, Secretary; and Frank D. Fackenthal, Treasurer. Annual membership was $5.00.
Gift of George Arthur Plimpton