Breaking ground for the School of Business, now Dodge Hall
Photograph, photographer unknown, ca. January 1924
Columbia University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
This photograph shows workmen breaking ground for the School of Business, now Dodge Hall. South Hall stands to the right, with Broadway and its trolley beyond.
The Department of Music left West Hall for South Hall (located near where Dodge Hall now stands), which was refitted as the first Faculty Club in 1905. Following its departure from South Hall, the Department of Music had offices and classrooms in Schermerhorn and the School of Mines. In 1913 the Department moved to the newly-completed Journalism Building, remaining there until 1965, when it moved to Dodge Hall, where it now occupies offices and classrooms renovated in the summer of 1996.